When can I incur an additional charge?
All additional charges from carriers are the responsibility of the sender. There are a few reasons why we might need to invoice you for an additional amount from the carrier, these include but are not limited to:
Return to sender or redirection.
Priority carriers will charge for a return to sender if the customer is not home to receive the goods and has not provided authority to leave in safe place.
If the address is insufficient and can be updated in flight, the sender will be charged for the new charges to complete delivery.
A re-delivery fee.
- This applies with Express or Priority carriers if the customer hasn't given authority to leave and isn't available at the time of delivery.
- Standard carriers will attempt redelivery once (CouriersPlease, Fastway) before they require redelivery to be paid for. As these carriers allow redelivery online, the receiver can easily book redelivery at any time and pay for the charge online.
Manual handling charge.
MHP is charged per items that require manual handling. This can be charged for several reasons:
Goods that are not palletised correctly.
- Due to Australian OHS standards, you will need to use a skid or pallets for any boxes that weigh over 30kgs as a forklift will need to transport the box at pickup and delivery.
- Shippit will automatically book a tail lift vehicle when booked and the carrier will assume you have either palletised the goods or placed them on a skid.
- If you do not place goods on a skid or pallet, the carrier can do so for you however this will incur a manual handling fee. You may also incur additional charges based on the greater cubic weight if they do not have the appropriate size skid available for you. See more on Skids & Pallets here.
Fragile, liquid goods, or odd-shaped.
- Fragile goods such as glass and liquids, goods with poor packaging, or even unusually shaped goods (including tubes, flat pack items and dangerous goods) will all require manual handling.
- Anything that exceeds the max size limit and can't travel through the automated sortation system will also be taken off for manual handling.
- This is charged when there is a discrepancy in the overall cubic weight you have booked on Shippit.
- The carrier will always weigh and cube your package in their automated sortation system. If there is a difference with what they capture vs what was declared on Shippit, this is considered under-declared (i.e a Misdec).
- The carrier will send Shippit the correct cubic weight captured and then Shippit's Account Team will invoice the sender for these additional charges.
- Additional charges may apply for some couriers. Please refer to their terms of service for more information as these charges are outside of Shippit's control and ultimately the liability of the sender.
Home delivery surcharge.
From 7 December 2020, TNT updated their domestic shipment surcharges and fees. If you have booked TNT through Shippit in the past, you will have received an email from Shippit advising of these changes.
From this date, all TNT bookings picked up from, or delivered to residential addresses will incur an additional fee, charged per consignment based on its chargeable cubic weight.
*cubic or deadweight whichever is greater.
- $55.00 (ex. GST) - residential delivery or pick-up of consignments with a weight of 30kg* and over but less than 100kg*
- $175.00 (ex. GST) - residential delivery or pick-up of consignments with a weight of 100kg* and over.
Do you ship with your own pre-negotiated TNT rates?
If you make residential bookings with TNT, having the fees included on your Shippit account will ensure you avoid unexpected fees or surcharges later on.
However, you do have the option to opt-out and will need to contact our Support team via email@example.com to get this disabled.
For more info on this surcharge, see here.
What to do if you believe the carrier has made a mistake?
If there has been an error on the carrier's part we will endeavour to retrieve compensation for you however sufficient proof must be provided first. Payment is still required until the dispute has been finalised with the carrier & credit has been approved & received.
For each label in the order that you're disputing, you'll need to supply the required evidence from section A and B, OR A and C noted below. You can send this to our support team and we'll get back in touch to assist:
Australia / New Zealand - firstname.lastname@example.org
Singapore - email@example.com
Malaysia - firstname.lastname@example.org