New Service Integration (In Pilot)
Australia Post On-demand has four service types (below) offering same day service from metropolitan to metropolitan available for a sub-set of postcodes.
Check postcode availability here.
NOW (or any time today)
AFTERNOON (deliver between 1 pm and 5 pm)
TONIGHT (deliver between 6 pm and 9 pm)
SATURDAY (deliver Saturdays between 1 pm and 6 pm).
Important Things to Note:
- The On-demand service does not operate on public holidays
- There are minimum volume quotas so please check with your Australia Post account manager for further clarification
- The On-demand service only operates in metro Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide. Check availability here.
- The Tonight and Saturday services can only deliver to residential addresses so will exclude business addresses, parcel lockers and PO Boxes
- The maximum dead weight for orders is 25 kg
- The maximum dimensions for orders are 50 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm
- No dangerous goods can be sent with the On-demand service
The Australia Post On-demand service manifest, collection and delivery times are summarised in the table below.
Explanation of terms:
- Last manifest time for same-day bookings: The latest Australia Post will accept a manifest in order to execute the same day delivery.
- Manifest time: Manifest at least "X" prior collection time, e.g. if a merchant has an 11:00 am pick up for their AFT orders, Australia Post will accept a 10:00 am manifest as AFT orders are expected to be manifested 1 hour prior to pick up.
- Service Availability: When the service is available for bookings of orders.
- Pick-up time: The scheduled/last pick-up time for each of the services.
- Delivery Window: The windows that each service is completed.
To integrate the Australia Post On-demand service into your fulfilment system the following steps need to be taken:
- Register your new On-demand service by signing up to the Australia Post Developer Centre and register for the Shipping and Tracking API.
- Meet with your Australia Post On-demand implementation team to discuss your onboarding requirements
- Contact Shippit to integrate your fulfilment system. *See what we need from you below.
- Update your website and operational process to cater for On-demand. Verify your setup and you're ready to launch!
What we need from you:
Once you receive your Australia Post’s On-demand credentials, please email this information to email@example.com so we can help configure your Shippit settings.
NOTE: If your subscription plan has assigned an account manager to you, please send the below details to them directly.
- Shippit Store Name: The name of your merchant account
- Account Number: Your unique Australia Post On-demand account number
- API Key: The API key provided by Australia Post
- Secret Key: Your Australia Post On-demand API key password
- FTP Username: Your FTP username setup with AusPost
- FTP Password: The password for the FTP username
- Service Code/s: The codes that you will be using i.e. NOW, AFT, TON and/or SAT
- Australia Post Account Manager Details: Name, email and contact number
Upon submission of complete information enumerated above, configuration may take 2 to 3 days and depending on how quickly you can check and approve the built rate card.
Considerations to implement Australia Post On-demand with Shippit
Step 1: Update your shopping cart to show On-demand
Ensure to cater for valid postcodes, cut-off times and parcel size limitations.
Step 2: Integration with Shippit
There are two ways to integrate your Shippit account with the Australia Post On-demand service, with your Shippit supported cart or direct API integration.
Step 2 a: Shippit Cart Integration
Merchants with cart integrations please refer to your specific platform for the integration guidelines.
Step 2b: Direct API Integration
For API integrations please refer to the Shippit API specifications (priority order request) for more details.
Merchants with a direct API integration will be required to make use of the following parameters in the Shippit Order API to create orders with their Australia Post On-demand service. The Order API courier_type parameter with a specific delivery_date and delivery_window must be included e.g.
The Australia Post On-demand specific delivery windows must be used to select the correct service type, their four service types are:
Step 3: Authority to Leave
Please note that ‘Authority to Leave’ is mandatory for the Australia Post On-demand service.
Step 4: Complete your Australia Post On-demand integration testing
Place test orders, one per service, with a delivery date 10 days in the future and provide your test labels and consignment numbers to your Australia Post account manager for approval. Once approved, please arrange pickups with your Austalia Post account manager as they require 3 days notice prior before service launch.