Peak season can be pretty crazy, so our partnered carriers have shared some handy tips to help keep you ahead of the game this peak season!
Stock up on supplies! We recommend ordering an oversupply of packaging, labels, and consumable requirements prior to peak to ensure you have enough to get through. The Shippit Supply Store has got you covered!
It's a good idea to increase warehouse operating hours where you can. Even just adding an evening shift to keep on top of fulfillment can really help get those orders out the door and your customers happy. The majority of online sales occur between 6 & 9 pm at night so even next day delivery can be achieved if evening fulfillment is in place.
Introduce a Saturday shift (especially after Black Friday sales ). It will help reduce the number of orders that need to be fulfilled on Monday ensuring you're not stuck with a mass backlog.
- Prioritise Christmas sales stock and popular in season skus on your pick face to reduce the overall fulfillment time.
- Presort parcels by destination head port when volume permits. Most courier depots are at capacity through peak and parcels can take longer to be processed and sorted for the next leg of the delivery journey. ULDs with presorted parcels can be cross-docked and loaded directly onto line-haul trucks which can really shave time off the overall delivery time.
- Stockpile your ULD's now. If you're relying on ULD's, best to stockpile them for key sale events such as Cyber Week (23/11/20 to 2/12/20) and Pre Christmas cut-offs (14/12/20 to 21/12/20). We suggest using pallets as an interim solution during other dates.
- Prioritise order picking by delivery service type and delivery location. (E.g A Sydney warehouse would prioritise Perth orders first to ensure they are picked, packed, and out to meet deadlines).
- Batch picking for Priority orders. Our same day carriers offer several different 3 hour timeslots, so it's crucial to ensure these orders are picked in time and prioritised to meet the pickup time.
Ask your Shippit account manager to help lock in regular pick-ups with your local courier drivers. Pickups increase through peak and ad-hoc collections can sometimes be missed if the driver has another regular commitment.
If you anticipate a dramatic increase in the size of your shipments as well as the volume, it's important to give couriers a heads up to ensure everything fits in the driver's vehicle otherwise it might need to be collected the following day.
- Continually check our Carrier Service Page for delays in your courier networks so you can keep your customers updated if a delay is imminent. Shippit will provide carrier network health reports weekly throughout peak, commencing soon!
- Where possible, switch over to express and same day carriers in the final weeks and days before Christmas.
- Cross-border shipments - check flight schedules and public holidays at the destination country that could potentially cause delays. Ensure export and import documentation are complete in the order to avoid customs or quarantine holds at the destination country.