Shippit gives you access to several of TNT's efficient road and air services for domestic deliveries Australia-wide.
TNT Road Express & Tailgate Service (road) is ideal for large, heavy, or palletised shipments whilst their Overnight service (air) gives you a cost-effective express door-to-door solution for smaller goods.
Road Express Standard.
|Dead Weight Limit||Unlimited - surcharges apply.||<30kg cubic.|
|Cubic Volume Limit||
Unlimited - surcharges apply.
|Max Length||Unlimited - surcharges apply.||<30kg cubic.|
|Dangerous Goods||With approval only.||With approval only.|
TNT will not transport any type of dangerous goods. Should our account be used to ship dangerous or prohibited goods without prior approval, we may need to suspend or cancel your account.
What are dangerous goods?
Dangerous goods are classified into nine hazard classes by the UN (United Nations) and reflected in the IATA Dangerous Good Regulations.
Dangerous goods are substances or articles with hazardous properties which, if not handled correctly, may:
- Corrode skin or metals
- Pollute the environment
- Become unstable with other products
The below can not be shipped under any circumstance:
We’re talking about more than corrosives and radioactive material. Any substance that could cause someone harm when not handled properly can be classed as dangerous.
E.g. Lithium batteries, dry ice, perfume. What’s classed as dangerous?
These materials can degrade and become harmful during transit. They can also have a detrimental and irreversible effect on the ecosystem they are entering into.
E.g. Food, perishable items, organic and industrial waste, plants and seeds.
These items can range from live animals going to a new home to blood needed for an urgent transfusion. Because of the risk to those handling them, they’re classed as restricted.
E.g. Blood samples, live animals, dead animals, animal fur, human organs and remains.
Countries often have strict rules regarding the import and export of large amounts of currency and other high value items. It’s important to check whether the goods you’re shipping are compliant with the relevant customs regulations.
The below can be shipped without approval being required:
Can I ship alcohol with TNT?
- Yes however liquids and fragile goods will attract a manual handling surcharge per item.
- Valid 18+ID must be provided by the receiver at the time of delivery. If the receiver does not have the relevant ID, the order will be returned to the depot for redelivery or returned to sender.
- The driver under goes specific training in order to deliver alcohol and reserves the right to refuse delivery due to insufficient ID.
- Authority to leave (safe drop) is not available with these types of deliveries.
Does TNT accept heavy or bulky freight?
- Yes, when booking a TNT Road and Tail-gate service you have an unlimited weight restriction however surcharges apply.
- Goods over 30kg must be placed on a pallet or skid otherwise you will receive a surcharge of $65.00.
- Any under-declared goods will be invoiced by Shippit accounts once TNT has re-weighed and charged for the goods.
- The TNT Overnight service does not currently accept goods over 30kg.
- Check out TNT's guide to preparing your shipment.
How to start shipping with TNT Express.
You can easily turn on TNT road and overnight services within Shippit Settings>Carriers and start shipping.
However, if you're shipping high volumes or palletised freight, you will need approval before shipping.
Please complete the Bulky Goods Request Form and return to Shippit for review.
Can I bring my own rates (i.e connect my own carrier account)?
Yes, if you would prefer to use your own negotiated rates our Config Team can set this up for you.
Please allow 2 - 3 days for configuration setup.
See the full integration guide here.
Pickup & Collection.
Individual goods over 30kg will automatically be booked on the tail-gate service with TNT and call out a tail lift truck. You do not need to contact Shippit for these types of collections.
Pallet pickups not booked as such on Shippit will require our support to book the correct vechile type. You will need to contact Shippit support for assistance. Please allow for up to 72 hours for collection.
If you have regular palletised goods, we can setup up regular pickups with TNT for you. You will need to contact Shippit support for assistance. It can take up to 5 days for approval however it’s normally 48-72 hours.
Cancel or rebook a pickup.
To cancel or rebook a pickup, please contact Shippit support who will reach out to the carrier for you.
You are not charged to rebook a failed pickup unless the order has been futiled by the carrier (the driver has tried to collect and unable to).
Drivers operate on run schedules so a specific time cannot be given however collection can happen anywhere up until 6pm usually.
Anything correctly booked on Shippit should be collected within 1 business day.
If you need to discuss your collection please contact Shippit support directly.
High volume collections.
Regular or daily pickups can be arranged for customers with high shipping volume. Speak with your Shippit Account Manager or Support team.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Is there an option for authority to leave?
- If a customer is not home, TNT will leave a card for redelivery to be booked. They will not leave goods unattended unless authority to leave has been provided.
- ATL is not available once an order is in flight (in transit) and no ATL option is available in Shippit customer notifications.
- Shippit is unable to provide ATL, the customer must do so online once an attempted delivery has been made and card left.
- Ultimately it is up to the driver to deem it safe to leave If there is nowhere safe to leave the package, it will be returned to the depot for redelivery.
Can an address be changed?
An address change is not possible once an order is already in transit or with a driver.
If the order already has ATL:
- You'll need to contact Shippit support so we can help you request a return to sender.
- If the package is already delivered, you'll need to have it recovered from the original address and book a return. The carrier will not return to the property once it's delivered.
If the order does not have ATL:
- Changes are not permitted during transit. A card will be left once a delivery attempt has been made, this will contain instructions on how to rebook delivery online to a new address*.
*surcharges apply, see below.
How do I arrange a redelivery?
Redelivery will incur a surcharge with TNT. Redelivery can be booked online by using a 'Sorry We Missed You' card to either the same address or an alternative address*.
Orders can also be collected from a TNT Local Exchange.
Does TNT have collection points?
Yes, orders can also be collected from a TNT Local Exchange.
Are redeliveries and redirection (new address) possible?
- Redelivery will incur a surcharge with TNT. Redelivery can be booked online by using a 'Sorry We Missed You' card to either the same address or an alternative address*.
- Orders can also be collected from a TNT Local Exchange.
- An address change is not possible once an order is already in transit or with a driver.
Can I request a return to sender?
Yes, however we must be able to reach the driver before delivery. Please contact Shippit support to request this and we'll check if it's possible.
You'll find our recommended packaging guidelines here.
Is there insurance available?
There is no complimentary insurance when booking with this carrier through Shippit. This means no claims for compensation can be lodged in the event something gets broken or goes missing.
To protect the full retail value of your deliveries during transit, you can enable Shippit Transit Protection.
Are there surcharges?
For an extensive list of all carrier surcharges, click here.
What is a manual handling charge?
Manual handling is required for items that are not compatible with TNT's sortation system and require manual handling due to:
- fragility (including glass)
- poor packaging (including where the parcel is unstable due to poor weight distribution)
- unusual shape (including tubes, flat-pack items)
- dangerous goods
- items booked on tailgate service that are not placed on a pallet or skid for the driver
What are under-declared goods (MISDECS)?
TNT specialise in bulky freight however goods must be packaged accordingly to travel safely, and avoid additional charges.
The quote provided at the time of booking on Shippit is based on the information you provide and subject to change. If the details are not accurate and goods are undeclared, this will attract an additional corrected charge.
What is the Home Delivery Surcharge?
From 7 December 2020, TNT updated their domestic shipment surcharges and fees.
If you have booked TNT through Shippit in the past, you will have received an email from Shippit advising of these changes.
All TNT bookings picked up from, or delivered to residential addresses (B2C) will incur an additional fee, charged per consignment based on its chargeable cubic weight.
See more on HDS here.